Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ressurection

As Holy Week approaches (you know the week with Easter and all that) I figured it would be a good time to resurrect this blog. It has received a new name and a fresh start. As I will be writing more and doing a lot of projects for seminary, I figured this could be a good place to discuss some ideas. Anyway, this is a recent article I wrote for my church newsletter, enjoy!

"It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."
Bilbo Baggins- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring

Hobbits in Tolkien’s stories had a particularly strong characteristic; keeping to themselves and living a simple life. Being too noticeable, too disruptive, too inquisitive, and heaven forbid, too ADVENTUROUS, were actions that were greatly looked down upon and would bring the whole town’s suspicion against you. Hobbits were known for never traveling very far from their houses, and likewise the other residents of Middle Earth rarely came close to where the Hobbits lived. Two Hobbits, however, broke this rule and consequently helped saved all of Middle Earth. 
 
I am a classic introvert. I used to be terribly shy. When I had to do book reports in middle school I would get nervous days in advance. I didn’t have a few butterflies in my stomach; I had hoards of migrating Monarch Butterfly colonies drinking espresso and playing tag in my stomach. Public speaking terrified me, and it took me about halfway through college to tame it. I still get butterflies, but I’ve learned to enjoy public speaking. 
 
But he (The Lord) said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

When the Hobbits in Tolkien’s stories leaned into their weakness and set out on an adventure, they started a series of events that would, in part, save Middle Earth from being taken over by the Dark Lord Sauron. As God calls me into the ministry and I lean into my weakness, I have been blessed by meeting great people and finding joy on the other side of great obstacles. I know that somehow, someway, my life and struggles are making and will make a difference, even if I don’t see it. 
 
Adventures are risky, dangerous, and disruptive and require us to stretch and sacrifice much. Adventures can also save the world. But it isn’t our inherent strengths that tend to bring victory, it is leaning into our weakness and taking the risk of trusting God to use our weakness to change the world--one step at a time. What is it that you feel like you have been called to do, but doubt you can do because of your weaknesses? Lean in, pray, and ask for help from others. You never know where the road may take you, or the dangers you may face, but you just might play a part in saving the world…


No comments:

Post a Comment

This section is to be used for building community. Disagreement is welcome, but discussion must be civil and purposeful. Violators will be towed at owner's expense.